The first 5 minutes are crucial for any interview. And it is in these 5 minutes that the decision of hiring or not hiring you is made by the interviewer.
How, then do you ensure that the impression that you create is a favourable one?
Keep the following few things in mind for that:
1. Be punctual. It is better to arrive early than to rush in at the last moment. Allow extra time for traffic, parking and slow elevators.
2. Project a professional and enthusiastic image. Your aim is to convince the interviewer that you would be an asset to the company and not a liability.
3. You can’t change the way you look. However, you can ensure that you project a clean and well groomed appearance. Dress comfortably, but immaculately. Shoes should be polished, pants/skirts and shirts pressed.
4. Make eye contact when you speak. Stand straight, move confidently and sit slightly forward in your chair. Body language is important and people notice it more than you think.
5. Shake hands firmly. A firm handshake projects confidence and leaves a lasting impression.